Monday, March 31, 2008

 

Exciting and Exhausting Sailing (Detail for JP)

Friday, NO Coleshill, So I took my nomination papers, in to the Chamber, Carmarthen Council.
Now the process has started !!

Saturday, when I got up, and looked out the window, it was blowing a gale, rain, so I did think that the Boat club meeting perhaps might get postponed for SAFETY reasons (how wrong I was !!!, should know better, that TBC has different weather than we do , up in the hills.)

Any way went to Towy Boat Club (too late for my taking part !!)
Very windy, sea was rough a lot of “white water”, (but told was fairly good, First thing)
To find a good turn out, with a lot of people who had been out on the water.

A lot of people asked me “Where have YOU been?”

So Home, we came , late in the afternoon.

Sunday, was expecting to be windy and rough seas.

To my amazement, there was NO wind,
Went to TBC very early Sea was “LIKE A MIRROR” NO WIND !!

I was told to change, as the WIND was coming in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got changed we launched the boat (Challenger—WISP).

First I went up river, but that was not that exciting, so went towards the ESTUARY (Ferryside)- Towards the sea.
The wind was getting better, I was soon going well, when I turned (Tacked ??) towards Llanstephan beach, I had left it too late to turn.so end up hearing the centre board “GRAZE” on the sand of the shallowing water !!! OH GREAT, I THOUGHT!!!, (NOT).
After a while, of shunting, to and fro (on the spot) I was just about, to eject myself, when a “king GUST of Wind” got me free.

Time to go back to the SAFTEY of the sight of the boat club !! in doing so, I was met by the SAFTEY boat telling me “think its time to go back”!!!
On the sail back I was sure something was wrong with the rudder (steering)
But I don’t know enough about these thing (plus I couldn’t see much, directly, behind me.
On one tack (turn) I managed to, REALLY” ground the boat (but close to the Jetty, for some one to come to my aid (Glyn.C) and “push me back in to the water!!

I went for a run (up stream) before coming in to the slipway.
I was told “I had been out a long time, and gone quite far (TELL ME ABOUT IT)

As, last time, I came in to the slipway, too fast, I let the wind out of the sail early enough and headed towards the mud (at the side of the slipway).
By this time the wind , was blowing a fair bit, but we got “WISP” out easily (WE as in “the TEAM”). I always feel a bit guilty, at not being ABLE to help.
SO MANY THANKS, TO ALL THAT HELPED.
A BIG THANKS TO FFIONA, FOR SORTING OUT , THE EVENT
(OH yes, I did get wet !!)
It was then “Bacon Butties” in the club house.

Then return home, at about 3.30pm.

Today, Monday, totally exhausted (I WONDER WHY??)

Two men have been to insulate the loft. A free installation from the Government.
In the mail, a parcel, a second hand camera, bought from ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120232096970&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002 to supplement the one we have, (identical twins, one silver one Blue)

Comments:
That's my boy, you've got the sailing bug now Alan...!!! Remember to take a fishing line with you for those times you get stuck in the mud and think of Glynn C up to his chest in freezing water wading out to rescue you.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?